SUMMER STAYCATION…
‘So where are you going on your summer holidays?’
‘Portrush, mostly…’
There were looks of slight pity on the faces of some of my colleagues when we discussed our holiday plans back at the end of June. Not that there’s anything wrong with going on holiday to Portrush: hundreds, maybe even thousands, of people do it every year. But when you actually live in Portrush all year round, it’s a bit different.
Yes: we had a staycation this year. And the year before. And for a few years before that. And it may all have started because my husband and I both had assorted responsibilities around home in the summer holidays, but we don’t regret our choice to stay at home. This year we regret it less than ever.
‘Sure if you get the weather, home’s just as good as anywhere else.’ People say it every year, and this year we certainly got ‘the weather’. July hardly saw a drop of rain; August has turned out cooler and less settled, but it doesn’t stop home being a fantastic place to be on holiday. When you’re not at work, you have time to realize just how much Northern Ireland has to offer.
We’ve spent most of our summer break on the North Coast. Whether it’s walking the beaches in Portrush and Portstewart, dipping a toe in the glittering waters and admiring those brave enough to go all-out and swim, surf or paddle board, or enjoying the wide range of cafés, bars and restaurants on offer, you’re never short of somewhere to go. There’s the sheer beauty of the cliff walks at the Giant’s Causeway and further east, accompanied in my case by that vertiginous feeling of the bottom falling out of your stomach as you look down! There are the stunning, golden beaches, the glorious silver-blue-teal Atlantic waters… the popular attractions such as the Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge or the Mussenden Temple at Downhill, or lesser known spots like the walks through the sand dunes at Portballintrae or Portstewart. You can do a full-scale tour of Game of Thrones filming locations, stretching from Ballintoy, the Dark Hedges (or North Road) right down to Castle Ward in Co. Down… and that’s just one film set possibility.
We’ve also spent a few days in and around Belfast and North Down. Gradually, Belfast has become a superb city for shopping. My favourite shopping haunt is Victoria Square, partly because I can enjoy a wander around the fashion shops safe in the knowledge that my husband is happily exploring the Apple Store. The whole city centre, compact enough for an easy walk, offers lots to tempt almost anyone, whether it’s quirky stationery at Flying Tiger, books and coffee at Waterstones, or a whole range of the latest fashions and beauty products just about everywhere else. It’s almost impossible to return home without finding something to interest you. And you won’t go hungry while you shop: there’s a whole range of tempting places for coffee, buns, afternoon tea, lunch, cocktails… you name it. I enjoyed the novelty of a light lunch in the Seahorse Bar of the brand new Grand Central Hotel. Last time I’d been in that building, it was Windsor House, and I was doing my Driving Theory Test. This visit was an awful lot more relaxing.
An afternoon at Mount Stewart Estate was a treat, with the sky an incredibly intense blue against the trees, the swans and cygnets gliding across the lake, and several new walks to explore since our last visit. The House is fascinating, the café is a delight and there’s even a bookshop. What’s not to love.
The Culloden Estate & Spa has been our favourite hotel anywhere for years; we spent a wonderful few days there this summer. On this occasion our schedule was so busy that I didn’t have time to fit in a spa treatment, but I’ve promised myself that pleasure ‘next time’. The gym, the nearby coastal path and the swimming pool were high points of our stay, though, as was the always-delicious food and the always-friendly service. Looking out over a slightly misty Belfast Lough from our beautiful suite, we could have been anywhere in the world… even the familiar can look beautiful in the right light. We were glad we were at home.
Most summers in my life, I’ve gone away somewhere during the holidays. I loved all my holidays, whether they were spent ‘down south’ or in Scotland, in France, Denmark, the Netherlands or elsewhere. I’m sure I’ll join those airport queues again… but this summer, I’ve had the most wonderful staycation in Northern Ireland. Nobody should feel bad for me that I spent most of my summer break in Portrush – even though that’s where I live all year round. When you get the chance to spend time with a person, sometimes only then do you really appreciate why and how much you like them. When you get to spend time in a place that’s grown familiar, sometimes then you see it with new eyes, and realize that we have places and experiences at home which are just as unforgettable as anywhere else in the world.
They say ‘travel broadens the mind’. It’s important, too, to broaden your mind enough to realize that we live in somewhere incredibly beautiful, with an awful lot to offer. Whether or not we ‘get the weather’.










No comments:
Post a Comment